English at Danson
At Danson Primary School, we believe that English is fundamental for children’s learning in all areas of the curriculum and requires the children to use many skills simultaneously. Our English curriculum provides the children with the opportunity to access a broad and balanced range of literature and language. High quality texts and books are at the heart of our curriculum and links to writing across the curriculum are enriched as pupils develop a love of reading and an excitement in the potential offered by books and their own and others writing. We believe that providing a consistent and progressive approach to English learning from Nursery to Year 6, with speaking and listening activities as an accessible entry point for all, will enable our pupils to move to secondary school as confident, independent and literate learners.
Our curriculum closely follows the aims of the National Curriculum to ensure all pupils:
- Read easily, fluently and with good understanding
- Develop the habit of reading widely and often, for both pleasure and information
- Acquire a wide vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language
- Appreciate our rich and varied literary heritage
- Write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences
- Use discussion in order to learn; they should be able to elaborate and explain clearly their understanding and ideas
- Are competent in the arts of speaking and listening, making formal presentations, demonstrating to others and participating in debate
Reading Journeys at Danson Primary School
Below you will be able to see the Reading Journeys for each year group at Danson Primary School. The images show what texts the children will be focusing on throughout each term.
Below are some examples of the fantastic writing from different year groups at Danson Primary School. English lessons are based around a core text and these texts form the stimulus for the writing that the children produce. We ensure that a range of genres are covered throughout the year so that the children are exposed to the different skills required for each genre.
Here at Danson Primary School we are very fortunate to have authors visit the school to talk with the children about reading and writing. On Wednesday 22nd November 2023, we were delighted to welcome the author, Sasha Parker to Danson. She came to share her wonderful new book, ‘The Land of Telleny’ that educates the reader about the nutritional benefits of fruit and vegetables through entertaining, imaginative rhymes. Please click on the link below for more information about Sasha's visit to Danson Primary School.
Core Reading Texts at Danson Primary School
Here at Danson Primary School we also continue to work with our parents regarding early reading and phonics. We run workshops for our parents so that they have the chance to come into school and learn how we teach phonics and early reading. Below are the slides from the workshop that was presented to parents at the start of the year.
English Skills Progression
Below are the skills progression that teachers at Danson Primary School use when teaching English. The skills in Speaking and Listening, Reading and Writing are sequential and build from the previous year group.